Christine's Arrival in Kakamega

Written on March 18, 2010, from Kakamega, Kenya
Christine Rose

Let me introduce myself... My name is Christine Rose. In my professional life, I life in Silicon Valley and work for a software company as their Corporate Events Manager. In my personal life, I have a keen interest in MicroFinance and it's positive effect on the working poor in developing countries. This spring I have the privilege of living out a dream I've had for quite some time - that of taking a 3-month Leave of Absence from my day job, and working as a volunteer intern in Kenya, Africa.

I am interning with Village Enterprise Fund, who's focus is MicroGrants in rural Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania. MicroGrants are very small grants (often in the $150-range), that are made available to the working poor. These grants can make all the difference to a family in rural Africa, bringing them from subsistence farming to having the opportunity of opening small businesses and providing for their families. As an individual having plenty of independent gusto, I really resonate with the pride and independence this affords these families, often women being the ones who run and sustain the family business. Plus, the long-term impact of the success of these businesses can far outlast any short-term philanthropy efforts.

The focus of my time in Kenya will be to conduct a Longevity Study on behalf of VEF. The primary focus of this study, is to determine how many small businesses that received MicroGrants in the past 2-6 years, are still operational. The answer to this question is important not only to those providing the grant funding, but also in understanding the long-term results of the MicroGrant process. Mind you, the answer to this question is not quite as straight-forward as it sounds! Even if the originally-funded business is perhaps not in business in its original state, the goal is to determine if the benefits of the original grant monies are still being realized. I will be traveling with a small group of evaluators through 6 regions of rural Kenya, meeting with a cross-section of small business owners as we conduct this survey. I consider it a true privilege to be able to meet and interact with these hard-working and creative entrepreneurs!

My first few weeks will be spent just outside of Kakamega, in Western Kenya. I am living with Wilson and Nancy Peru and family; Wilson is an employee of VEF, and they have generously opened their home to have me live as part of their family. I am quickly learning the differences of life in Kenya vs. California, and am enjoying the ride!

I am just getting settled in, with today being my first day in the VEF Office, meeting with the staff and beginning to connect with the local evaluators I will be working with. I imagine that over the next few days and weeks, there will be many more experiences and impressions to share over this blog!

I look forward to sharing this journey together with you,
Christine

6 comments:

Deano said...

Yeah! Safely in Kenya. I love your spirit and your heart, Christine. You go, girl!

YBFAM,
Dean

Rose said...

I am extremely happy you've arrived safely in Kenya; I agree with Dean, your spirit and heart are just wonderful. Enjoyed your blog and your email update,
Rose

Marsha Schaefer-Peake said...

Hi Christine! I am so happy to hear that you arrived safely! We miss you already, but know that this will be an experience of a lifetime. Don't worry about a thing here. We love you! Marsha & Loren

Michael Kremer said...

Christine-
Best of luck! I look forward to following your progress! And of course say hi to everyone in Eregi / Kilingili / Kakamega for me.

Michael

Unknown said...

So glad to hear you are safe and well! I look forward to hearing more about your time visiting with the business owners and the locals! We're praying for you and our LTG has a hole in it without you!
Hugs and love,
Jen

Unknown said...

Christine, what a lass you are-so, so, well...adventurous!Looking forward to the 'Rest of the story' when you have the time and technology to post.

Stay safe and enjoy the ride!

Diane and Glenn