First Post from Kenya - the living landscape

Written on March 30, 2008 from Kakamega, Kenya

By Max Anders

Kenya's first impressions have struck their mark. Let's start from the top. The technicolor sky, stretched from one horizon to the other. Blue so vibrant it seems to be born of here and gradually dissipate the further away the wind takes it. White clouds that shimmer more like silver in the mornings before they fill with water, turn gray, and dump that water on me and the cows. Then sky meets earth and green rolling hills bump and rumble beneath the weight of giant boulders. Sprouting forth from a deep brown red earth, the vegetation is terraced along the living landscape. I shake my head, trying to encourage my eyes to adjust and take it all in. But time is short (and bumpy) when you are sputtering along in a matatu (Kenya's contribution to the global phenomenon of over crowded public transportation). So I grab what I can - the wide tailed sheep munching and avoiding the massive cows, the crowds of two seater bicycle taxi drivers waiting for customers to expertly pedal up and down the muddy paths - and leave the rest for my dreams.


In addition to adjusting to the dramatic surroundings and lively lifestyles, I have also ventured out into the field to prepare for my evaluation project and experience first hand the work of VEF. Standing in the doorway of a catholic church, in front of a group of thirty Village Enterprise Fund (VEF) beneficiaries, I listened to father William (one of VEF's Village Business Mentor) translate my rambles of welcome and gratitude into Luya. The noon time shadows danced off the faces of the women, who had walked miles to welcome us and, hopefully, show us their businesses.
I won't be able to do the power and emotion of this experience justice, especially because I don't fully understand it myself. But as I stood before these women, all of whom who are burdened by severe economic hardships and are therefore taking part in VEF's business startup grant program, I was consumed by their humanity. Despite the barriers of language, geography, class, and culture, there existed a connection between us that dominated the atmosphere of the room. None of us were able to express it but I am confidant that all felt it. To be a small part of the dynamic and life changing work of Village Enterprise Fund and to see the people who benefit with my own eyes, is a privilege I fail to put into words.For the genius of VEF is simple, yet profound. It lies in the very people whom it seeks to serve. By building relationships with people who live in extreme poverty and acknowledging their intelligence, resilience, and strong desire to improve their lives, VEF catalyzes change. The women's faces said it all. As Julia (a VEF staff member working on the ground in East Africa right now) speaks words of care and deep concern for these people who have recently experienced atrocious political violence were translated, they seemed shocked. Unable, perhaps, to comprehend why the people of VEF are working so hard to help people they do not know, some womens' eyes began to water. The mutual wonder and gratitude was passed back and forth many times that day in smiles, cups of tea, live chickens, and served lunches of fish from people who eat meat only once a month. I feel truly privileged to be here and experience what I have thus far and remain excited and optimistic for what lies ahead.

From the large skies and vibrant colors of Kenya, I'm out.

No comments: