Safe Arrival in Kenya

Written on March 21st from Kakamega, Kenya

By Julia Hack-Davie

Hello Everyone!I am having an amazing time here in Kenya although at times I feel like a chicken running around with its head cut off (I felt this was a somewhat culturally appropriate simile to use here). From the first day, Wilson and I sat down and created a hectic schedule of me visiting about 10 different VBMs to become acquainted with the areas that we work in and also to do a random survey of businesses that have been funded in the last year or those that are awaiting funding. This is actually one of the first full days I have had the opportunity to sit down with a stable supply of electricity and give some feedback on what I have seen here so far. At first glance you could arrive in Kenya and never guess that only a few months ago, cars were burning, and people were mourning over lives lost and the uncertain future of their country. Today people line the streets going to and from markets, schools and jobs, laughing and smiling as they encounter one another. There is no cloud of tension and uneasiness that I tried to so thoroughly prepare myself for. In fact, this Kenya seems oddly similar on the surface to the one that I visited nearly a year ago. People are optimistic about the future and truly hope that they can piece back together their country. As the peace process is not yet finalized, EVERYONE I encounter has the most recent news of the day as to what Parliament has passed, what the latest is on who has been appointed to what post, etc. People are closely following the progress as they are determined to see significant change out of what they have endured. It is truly a unique and fascinating time to see Kenyans attempting to redefine their country through government.

No comments: