Minister of QuickBooks

Written on April 4, 2008 from Kakamega, Kenya
By Anne Olson

The other day at lunch, we were talking about the cabinet members for the Kenyan government that is being discussed at this time. Then someone suggested a new cabinet position – Ministry of QuickBooks – and that I should be appointed. Now they call me the Minister of QuickBooks! The people here have such a good sense of humor; no wonder I love working with them.

Yesterday, we ventured out to the countryside to meet in Rowland’s bar (Rowland is the Training Director for all 3 countries and owns a bar). Julia was reviewing some documents to get some feedback and input from the Kenyans. After we accomplished that task (reviewing documents is always such hard work but so necessary), we went to Wilson’s house (Wilson is the Kenyan Country Director) for a feast. The first time I came to Kenya with VEF, I stayed with Wilson and his wife Nancy for one night before going on to Uganda so it was nice to visit their home again. There were many people there – all Kenya VEF staff and family, the Americans (Julia, Max, me), and various other people. It was very fun. In the typical Kenyan way, everyone had to “say something” before we could conclude. Then Wilson took the folks from Kakamega to the main road to catch a matatu back to Kakamega.

While I was waiting with Linnet to catch the matatu yesterday morning, I got to meet her Father. He teaches science and Kiswahili in a primary school. Then I got to meet Linnet’s fiancĂ©, Absolom (not sure of the spelling) – yes Linnet is engaged! – and he joined us for the day. He’s a very nice young man and I enjoyed meeting him. Hopefully I will see him again while I am here.

No comments: