Some Rain and a New Office

Written on April 2, 2008 from Kakamega, Kenya
By Anne Olson

Sunday was beautiful most of the day and then rain in the afternoon. I walked to town (about 15 minutes) to meet Julia and Max, go to the internet cafĂ©, and have lunch. Was ready to walk home again when the clouds started looking very dark and menacing. So I took a bodaboda (bicycle taxi – he pedals and I sit on the back!) and was very glad that I did because about 5 minutes after I got to the hotel it started raining very hard. I had my raincoat but it would have been kinda miserable.

I have been walking to and from the office. It is about 10 minutes and it feels good to get out and move. The last two days have been beautiful – blue skies and white puffy clouds and a nice breeze. Linnet (the VEF office manager in Kenya) said it was just perfect – no dust and no mud! If it doesn’t rain again soon, we’ll have dust and if it does we’ll have mud. So we’ll take the “perfect” for right now.

Linnet and I started working on QuickBooks on Monday. I did an overview for her and now she has her fingers on the keyboard. We decided to start with January and enter income and expenses so that we could run a quarterly report from QuickBooks. Linnet catches on very fast and we are figuring some things out as we go. I am working on the accounting process and forms to support the process. Linnet is great to work with and I am having fun (hope she is too!).

The office moved today to a bigger space just a few steps away. The boxes got moved and stacked yesterday and the furniture was moved today. Our internet access (2 lines) won’t be available until the end of the week so we are using one connection in another room on the site. So I am learning to share J It is amazing how much I take for granted that I will have access; I even have wireless access at home. Americans are so spoiled (and we love it). There was no internet connection at the site this morning but we didn’t have time to work on QuickBooks anyway with the move. I did get connected this afternoon – just long enough to download my email. Then – gone again!

My room at Sheywe Guest House is a “suite” with a living room-kitchen (with a refrigerator), a bedroom with 2 beds (mosquito nets included) and a bathroom. I even have a TV! I watch CNN to get the news and that’s about all. I just realized yesterday why they were not cleaning my room – I need to leave my key in reception! So today I did that and asked them to spray for mosquitoes while I was gone. They serve breakfast and dinner downstairs so that is very handy – don’t even have to go out when it is raining. I’m pretty happy with my home-away-from-home (at least my first one!). I have been eating a big breakfast and big lunch so am not very hungry in the evening. Today I went to the market to buy mangos and little bananas and to the store to buy some yogurt; that will make the perfect light evening meal for me. Sure is nice to have a refrigerator so I can buy a few days supply of yogurt.

No comments: