A Nice Visit to the Field

Written on May 1, 2008 from Kakamega, Kenya
By Anne Olson

These last few days in the office went by very fast. I feel good about what we were able to accomplish and how much Linnet has learned. I also got some documentation done so that I can more easily set up for the other two countries. They won't be so "trial and error" like Kenya was. We have reconciled checking and savings accounts for the first quarter of 2008, petty cash has been reconciled with an adjustment (I knew that would be the case) and some receipt tracking processes have been put in place. A lot of money goes out the door as cash so receipts are very important. When I come back to Kenya in June I will do some spot checks to see if receipts are in place.

Today I went to the field with Catherine, one of the Village Business Mentors (VBMs), and Wilson the country director. We visited some of Catherine's businesses. I love to do that. Some were selling vegetables and cereals (maize, beans, etc), one was selling paraffin and kerosene, one was selling cooked beans and chapatti for lunch. Beautiful strong Kenyan women who are making a difference in the lives of their families and the community at large. I love going to the field and seeing the people that are being helped by VEF. They all ask me to take greetings and thanks back to the US office and the donors. They are very grateful for the chance they were given to move out of poverty and want others to have the same chance. Very inspiring.

Tomorrow Linnet and I will take the bus to Nairobi where I will spend the weekend. I will meet with a woman that I met at a conference in California. She runs an NGO (non-governmental organization) and I want to talk with her about her organization and how she tracks expenses. Should be interesting. I will also get to spend some time with Jackie who used to be the VEF Country Director; she and I became friends when I have visited Kenya in the past. When she lived in Kakamega, I would stay at her house when I was there. I am excited to see her. Her husband helped me deal with the hotel in Nairobi when my computer was stolen. And NO, I am not staying at the same place and NO I will not be leaving my computer in my room when I go out!

On Monday, May 5, I fly to Dodoma Tanzania to work in the VEF office there. I can't believe I have already been here for a month. The time is going by very fast.

No comments: