A Reoccuring Cold

Written on May 9, 2008 from Dodoma, Tanzania
By Anne Olson

We got the authorization and voucher books so are ready to go with them. However, we still don't have internet connection so they have never seen QuickBooks. I've been doing what I can without the connection – reviewing the chart of accounts, looking at the April expenses that we have and asking them to identify which account they would charge it to, looking at the grant records that they have, etc. AND reading a lot of books!!! It's a good thing I brought lots of reading material. It is amazing how little I can do in the office here without an internet connection. We had it one day long enough to set up the local network and I was able to connect my computer through the desktop here. Got part of my email downloaded but not all of it. Pole pole (slowly slowly in Swahili – pronounced poe-lay with long o and long a).

I still have a sore throat (very red) and swollen glands. As long as I keep drinking liquids, I do okay. By morning it is pretty sore and I start over again. Not sure what my next steps should be. Pharmacy, doctor, …??? Will start with the pharmacy on Saturday.

I've been going out for a walk the last couple of mornings. Feels good to get out and move before the sun gets too hot. When I was in Kakamega, I walked to the office and back each day. Now I just come out of my bedroom and I am in the office (just like in Uganda). So I have to make an effort to get some exercise. I know the locals think I am a bit weird (you know how those mzungus – white people – are) as they walk to get from one place to another. I walk a certain distance and turn around and come back. Such strange behavior!

Tanzania is cooler than either Kenya or Uganda. There are screens on the windows so less worry about bugs but I still close the window at night so I don't get cold. Daytime temperatures are very pleasant.

I gave books, toys and treats to the staff today for their children. This weekend I will give the same to the children here. I haven't felt like going out to play with them but plan to make it happen this weekend no matter what my energy level is.

No comments: