Pump Project Profile

Written on May 20, 2008 in Dodoma, Tanzania
By Anne Olson

On Saturday, Noel and his family took me to the field to visit some beneficiaries. I wanted to see some of the pump projects so we visited the village of Hombolo. A few years ago, the Italian government built irrigation canals around the village to divert water from the local reservoir. The people were using very primitive methods to irrigate their fields with the water and it would take them all day to irrigate. The pumps that were supplied by VEF grants are very simple and are "people powered". They look kinda like a stairmaster at the gym and someone steps on to the pump and starts "walking". That action siphons the water from the irrigation canal and moves it through a hose to water the field. They can now water their field in about 6 hours instead of a whole day AND they have increased the size of the field. With the pump to help with watering, they are now able to harvest twice a year instead of once. We visited 3 vineyards where they are growing black grapes (the vineyards were already established when they got the pumps). One was especially beautiful – the vines were LOADED with grapes and were very healthy. The group had just planted some new vines and was preparing the ground for additional seedlings. They grow their own seedlings from the cuttings when they prune the vines. We also visited a field of onions that was watered in the same way. The young man with the beautiful vineyard made a special trip to his field on Saturday with his pump (on his bicycle) to show me how it all works. I was very grateful to see what they are doing and how it has changed capacity to produce. Two of the vineyards had some problems with insects which had a negative effect on the quantity and quality of grapes that were on the vines. The spray for the insects is expensive for them and they were not able to afford it. Their crop of grapes will not be as good this year. I love going to the field and meeting the beneficiaries. The people are hard workers and very grateful for the help they have received from VEF.

Sunday was a very relaxing day. I decided not to go to church (Richard is the pastor of a Pentecostal Church) so I had quiet time to meditate, write, read. It was nice.

I actually started training on QuickBooks today. They are doing entries for the expenses that have been incurred since April 1. We should finish those entries tomorrow so that we can look at the reports, do a reconcile, and see if other questions come up. They are both quick learners. The hardest part is getting them in the office together so we can get something done. Things seem to get in the way – like time for tea! It was 11am by the time we got started today. I told them that once I got them in the office I was going to lock the door! Then this afternoon there was a burial in the community and custom says everyone in the neighborhood is to attend. So no work on QB this afternoon. Since I only have this week (3 more days) to finish up, my sense of urgency is high. I don't think Africans have a sense of urgency; I think it is a western thing!  I told both of them that we will start on QB at 9am tomorrow; we cannot start at 11 as we did today and get everything done. We'll see what happens! I'm not holding my breath for 9!

No comments: